According to the 2012 World Fact Book, Russia’s main export is WTF?! Somewhere along the way the Russians took the title of Weirdest Nation from Japan (this pepper spray in the butt race notwithstanding), and they aren’t planning to relinquish it any time soon.
It’s hard to capture the true essence of Russia’s weirdness better than this amazing compilation of bystander and dash cam videos, but these 14 stories *almost* encapsulate everything there is to know about this bizarre, cold, lonely country where it’s Forever Winter.
1. The grandmother who fought a wolf with her bare hands, then killed it with an axe. (Wait, how is this woman only 56?)
2. In Soviet Russia, brick breaks you over head (video here!).
3. Russia: Where fighter jets almost graze the top of your car.
5. A dog & pony show has a whole different meaning there — in Russia, it’s an unannounced drag race down a crowded street.
6. Where a female verbal cat fight ends in flung dog poop.
8. Lemme axe you a question: Did you know Russian road rage incidents end in someone brandishing a hatchet?
9. The moose that sucks at Frogger.
10. In 2012, supporters for the best soccer team in Russia got upset about breaking the color barrier: “We’re not racists,” they say. “But we see the absence of black players at Zenit as an important tradition.”
Brazil’s Hulk via The Mirror
12. At a meeting with 30 editors-in-chief, Vladimir Putin singled out the liberal Moscow Echo radio’s Alexei Venediktov for his consistent disparagement: “You pour diarrhea over me day and night,” he said. Cartman’s Mom and some of Ze Germans might pay to see that.
13. Thanks for mammaries — this dude felt up 1,000 women in public.
14. Pussy Riot of another kind: Former Finnish President and Conan O’Brien look-alike Tarja Halonen lost her beloved cat Miska to cancer, so Russian Prime Minister Dimitry Medvedev promised Halonen “a Neva Masquerade kitten, the same as my popular cat Dorofey.”