The Vietnam era has a slew of great protest songs by some major bands. That period is so synonymous with music, politics and protest that it’s practically impossible to untangle one from the other.
Fourteens years after hitting pay dirt with that ridiculously catchy “Do-do-do” song (is it stuck in your head yet?), Third Eye Blind crawled out from the San Francisco mansion to really be the first known band to offer up some sort of Occupy Wall Street protest song.
It’s eerie how much the band’s post-grunge, pop rock, still sounds the same.
Third Eye Blind frontman Stephan Jenkins penned the ode to the Occupy Wall Street movement, imploring the youth of America to take to the streets in protest. It’s a ballsy move opening the tune with audio taken from the aftermath of when Iraq War veteran Scott Olsen fractured his skull from a police-lobbed tear gas canister an infamous Occupy Oakland protest.
“I think college students are going to come to terms with the unfairness of student loans, the hallowing out of jobs from finance based capitalism, and the depletion of public wealth,” said Jenkins in a post on Third Eye Blind’s website. “When you take money out of politics, which is what Occupy Wall Street is about for me, you reverse these trends. This song is meant to encourage their participation. I hope we flood this movement with music.”
It’s no “Ohio” or even “For What It’s Worth,” but it’s nice to see some band try to live up to the lofty example set by America’s protest era of rock/roll. It would be easy to mock and ridicule the efforts of the band, but it’s not like any other bands are out there trying to capture the political tides of the day.
S’MORE #OWS STORIES TO KEEP YOU OCCUPIED:
• Occupy Wall Street “Day of Action” Culminates with 30,000+ on Brooklyn Bridge, Bat Signal
• Start Spreadin’ “The Raid on Zuccotti Park”
• 84-Year-Old Woman Pepper Sprayed By Seattle Police at Occupy Protests
• Judge Rules in Favor of City to Keep OWS From Camping
• Ali Velshi’s Fat Evil Twin Drops Anti-Gay F-Bomb at OWS
• Holy Terror: Legendary Comic Artist Frank Miller Goes Bananas on #OWS Protesters
• Brutality: Watch Riot Police Rough Up Occupy Cal Protesters on Berkeley Campus
• Oakland Officer Shoots Cameraman with Rubber Bullet for Seemingly No Reason
• Faceoff: Occupy Wall Street vs. Tea Party
• Bayhem: Oakland Anarchy Mars Peaceful Protests
• Starting to See a Pattern? Occupy Tulsa Protesters Pepper Sprayed, Arrested
• On Rights: Former USAF Airwoman Gives Portland Police Important Civics Lesson
• Right of Way: Mercedes Strikes 2 Occupy Oakland Protesters
• Lowlifes, Homeless and Colbert Co-Opting Occupy Wall Street?
• What I Learned from the Occupation: Lose the Fear
• Iraq Vet Wounded by Oakland Police Projectile Upgraded to “Fair” Condition
• War Pigs: Police in Riot Gear Bust Up Occupy Oakland Protests
• OWS: An Idea to Keep Big Banks Occupied
• Marine to NYPD: “Why Y’all Gearing Up Like This is War?”
• Banksy Shows Support for Occupy London Protests with Custom Monopoly Sculpture
• Fallon and BriWi Slow Jam the #OWS News
• Where Occupy Wall Street Headlines Come From
• Operation Fox Hunt: Anonymous Threatens to Take Down Fox News
• Buncha Bologna: Pepper-Spraying NYPD Officer Loses Just 10 Days Vacation
• Jon Stewart on Hypocrisy of Republican Revolution Rhetoric
• MTV Goes OWS: Watch Previews for “True Life: I’m Occupying Wall Street”
• 11 Occupy Wall St. Spin-offs You May Have Missed
• [VIDEO] Rest Easy, World: Half of the Baldwin Brothers Make a Visit to OWS
• Close Your Citibank Account, Go Directly to Jail
• NYPD and OWS Protesters Clash After Cleanup Postponed
• Here’s Why “Occupy” Protesters Picked Specific Fight with Wall St. Bankers
• Gee, Wonder Why Fox News Declined to Air This Interview with Occupy Wall St. Protester
• Wicked Cold: Riot Police Clash with Occupy Boston Camp
• Puppet Interview Crews and More Kanye West News From Occupy Wall Street
• Nightstickin’: NYPD Officer to Start “Occupy Hospitals”
• What Would George Carlin Think of Occupy Wall Street?
• CAPTION IT: Kanye West Occupies Wall Street…for Minutes
• Police Tackle Peaceful Cafe Worker at “Occupy Wall Street”
• NYPD Officer in Hot Bologna After Second Pepper Spray Video Surfaces
• Jon Stewart Finally Breaks Down Occupy Wall Street
• Geraldo Meets Occupy Wall Street Protesters Amid Chants of “Fox News Lies!”
• Inconceivable! Princess Bride Bossman Checks in with Occupy Wall Street Protests
• Radiohead Hoaxster Comes Clean, Wanted to Raise Awareness for Occupy Wall Street