Beloved street artist Banksy decided to show his support for the worldwide Occupy Movement by doing what he does best: He created a sculpture for the London protesters. His latest work of art and cultural criticism features a panhandling Rich “Uncle” Pennybags sitting atop a customized Monopoly board.
If you look closely at the red Monopoly house, you’ll see Banksy even included the tiny detail of a Tox shoutout, which he’s been known to do before. The board also features trans-national corporations listed on the property spaces in place of the famous Atlantic City streets.
For the uninitiated, Tox is one of London’s most notorious taggers who was recently convicted of criminal damage. The photo above comes courtesy of Jason Reeves. Demotix has a full gallery of images of Banksy’s sculpture. The famous street artist delivered it Monday night as a gift to lift the spirits of the Occupy London protesters.
PREVIOUSLY IN OUR COVERAGE:
• Operation Fox Hunt: Anonymous Threatens to Take Down Fox News
• Marine to NYPD: “Why Y’all Gearing Up Like This is War?”
• Buncha Bologna: Pepper-Spraying NYPD Officer Loses Just 10 Days Vacation
• Jon Stewart on Hypocrisy of Republican Revolution Rhetoric
• MTV Goes OWS: Watch Previews for “True Life: I’m Occupying Wall Street”
• 11 Occupy Wall St. Spin-offs You May Have Missed
• [VIDEO] Rest Easy, World: Half of the Baldwin Brothers Make a Visit to OWS
• Close Your Citibank Account, Go Directly to Jail
• NYPD and OWS Protesters Clash After Cleanup Postponed
• Here’s Why “Occupy” Protesters Picked Specific Fight with Wall St. Bankers
• Gee, Wonder Why Fox News Declined to Air This Interview with Occupy Wall St. Protester
• Wicked Cold: Riot Police Clash with Occupy Boston Camp
• Puppet Interview Crews and More Kanye West News From Occupy Wall Street
• Nightstickin’: NYPD Officer to Start “Occupy Hospitals”
• What Would George Carlin Think of Occupy Wall Street?
• CAPTION IT: Kanye West Occupies Wall Street…for Minutes
• Police Tackle Peaceful Cafe Worker at “Occupy Wall Street”
• NYPD Officer in Hot Bologna After Second Pepper Spray Video Surfaces
• Jon Stewart Finally Breaks Down Occupy Wall Street
• Geraldo Meets Occupy Wall Street Protesters Amid Chants of “Fox News Lies!”
• Inconceivable! Princess Bride Bossman Checks in with Occupy Wall Street Protests
• Radiohead Hoaxster Comes Clean, Wanted to Raise Awareness for Occupy Wall Street