Is this the last presidential selfie ever? (Probably not.)
— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) April 1, 2014
Let’s be honest, selfies will live on forever, bans be damned.
But after David Ortiz snapped a selfie on stage with President Obama last week and tweeted the photo to the tune of 42,000 retweets, many in the White House took issue with the revelation that Big Papi had a deal with Samsung to promote his Galaxy Note 3 phone.
• SEE ALSO: Big Papi to Fenway: ‘This Is Our F*&king City!’
Ortiz swears the photo not a promo stunt, but it might be enough to ban the practice when the president is present, according to the NY Daily News.
So where does this leave us?
“Maybe this will be the end of all selfies,” White House Senior Adviser Dan Pfeiffer said about the incident Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “(Obama) obviously didn’t know anything about Samsung’s connection to this.”
“Someone who uses the President’s likeness to promote a product … that’s a problem with the White House,” Pfeiffer added. “We’ve had conversations with Samsung about this and have expressed our concerns.”
UPDATE: “[WH Press Secretary Jay] Carney said Pfeiffer was suggesting ‘humorously’ that the incident would lead to the end of impromptu self-photography, but that his comment wasn’t White House-specific. He briefly joked that the administration would ‘use our executive authority’ to impose a nationwide ban.”
(banner photo via AP/Carolyn Kaster)