For about a month after the senseless killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, the story had been a one-sided tale of a racist aggressor and a helpless, unarmed teenager.
But that story began to change after the Orlando Sentinel leaked a police report that claimed Martin knocked Zimmerman to the ground with one punch to the face, and that Martin climbed on top of him and bashed his head into the sidewalk. Zimmerman, in this report and through surrogates on the teevee, claimed to be bloodied and battered, with a bruised face and broken nose.
Now that changing story is changing again. ABC News obtained exclusive surveillance footage from the Sanford, Florida police station, which appears to show Zimmerman is a-okay.
To be clear, the lighting is horrible, and ABC has done the world a disservice by brandishing its logo over Zimmerman’s face. But does it look like this man is battered and beaten? Does his face look swollen? Does there appear to be blood anywhere on his clothes? Are the cops wearing gloves (Magic Johnson rule)? It’s hard to tell anything conclusively, of course. But Zimmerman’s story looks weak here.
MORE ON THE KILLING OF TRAYVON MARTIN HERE:
• Here’s George Zimmerman’s Account of How Trayvon Martin Was Killed
• An Open Letter to Geraldo Rivera, By ‘Most People’
• Obama: ‘If I Had A Son, He’d Look Like Trayvon’
• 10 Obama-Hating Reactions to the President’s Comments on Trayvon Martin Killing
• LeBron & Miami Heat Wear Hoodies for Trayvon
• Scenes from the ‘Million Hoodie March’ in NYC
• Being American While Black
• The Killing of Trayvon Martin: Listen to the 911 Calls
• Justice for Trayvon? Feds Step In to Investigate Teen’s Murder
• The Trayon Martin Killing Explained, by Mother Jones