West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin gets it.
Manchin’s a Democrat who, when running for office in 2010, said “As your senator, I’ll protect your Second Amendment rights,” just before taking dead aim and literally shooting the Cap & Trade bill.
After the heartbreaking tragedy in Newtown, count Manchin among the few “pro-gun” senators speaking out about how rhetoric on guns and gun control must change. “I don’t know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle,” he said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe on Monday. “I don’t know anyone that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about.” Here’s Manchin:
“I think opening up and seeing a massacre like this, of innocent children, it’s changed things,” he also said. “It’s changed America.”
• SEE ALSO: Even Ronald Reagan Advocated More Gun Control
Here’s that infamous “Dead Aim” ad from 2010:
MORE ON NEWTOWN:
• Obama Holds Granddaughter of Fallen Sandy Hook Principal
• Obama’s Moral Compass Address: After Newtown, ‘We Must Change’
• Westboro Baptist Church to Protest Sandy Hook Funerals?
• Watch SNL’s Classy Children’s Choir ‘Silent Night’ Cold Open
• Paper Apologizes For Gun Ad Appearing Next to Newtown Story
• Mass Shooting at CT Elementary School, 20 Children Among 27 Killed
• This Newtown Vigil Grief-Relief Group Hug Means All Too Much
• C.J. Cregg Has a Message For the ‘Arm Every Teacher!’ Crowd
• Watch Pres. Obama’s Emotional Statement on Newtown Tragedy
• Mike Huckabee Blames Newtown Tragedy on Lack of God in Schools