At least 43 sponsors have now pulled their advertisements from Rush Limbaugh‘s show in response to his tirade against 30-year-old Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke, whom Limbaugh called a “slut” and a “prostitute” after hearing her testify to Congress about her university health-care plan’s contraceptive coverage. Limbaugh turned a debate about politics and health care into something deeply personal, using slut-shaming to denigrate Fluke and others who depend on birth control for a variety of treatments.
Is contraceptive coverage a partisan issue? Sure, but here’s the bigger question: Are advertisers just now figuring out that this guy is a crazy hatemonger?
We went back and (easily) found 10 quotes that should have sent advertisers heading for the hills long before Fluke got in Rush’s crosshairs.
1. “In Obama’s America, the white kids now get beat up, with the black kids cheering, ‘Yeah, right on, right on, right on’ … Kid shouldn’t have been on the bus anyway. We need segregated buses — it was invading space and stuff.” Source
2. “If homosexuality being inborn is what makes it acceptable, why does racism being inborn not make racism acceptable? … We are born that way. We don’t choose it. So shouldn’t it be acceptable, excuse — this is according to the way the left thinks about things.” Source
This original song aired on The Rush Limbaugh Show several times. Chip Saltzman, a 2008 candidate for RNC chair, put it on a mix CD and distributed it to his colleagues. The gift backfired; Michael Steele was elected instead.
Here, Limbaugh defends the song:
4. [To an African-American caller] “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.” Source
5. “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?” Source
6. [To a caller arguing that black people need to be heard] “They are 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?” Source
7. [When a Mexican won the New York Marathon] “An immigration agent chased him the last 10 miles.” Source
8. Jared Loughner has the Democrats’ “full support”
Limbaugh suggested that the shooter of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, was being aided by the same party:
“What Mr. Loughner knows is that he has the full support of a major political party in this country. He’s sitting there in jail. He knows what’s going on, he knows that. … The Democrat party is attempting to find anybody but him to blame. He knows if he plays his cards right, he’s just a victim. … That smiling mug shot — this guy clearly understands he’s getting all the attention and he understands he’s got a political party doing everything it can, plus a local sheriff doing everything that they can to make sure he’s not convicted of murder — but something lesser.” Source
9. “The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re invested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there’s a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn’t really deserve.” Source
10. “Look, let me put it to you this way: The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.” Source
Even Peter Gabriel wants nothing to do with Rush anymore. Republican politicians are denouncing him. So the racist shtick was just Rush being Rush, right? He may think football players are no different from gang members, but at least he’s not sexist. Oh, he is? All right, I guess we have to pull our ads now.
Or is the level of publicity the only difference here?
Stop hate. Do your part. Spread this ’round on Twitter and Facebook. And follow us for updates @hypervocal.
What do museum sex, Pat Robertson, beards, aggressive turkeys and Andrew Breitbart have in common? Click over to Headlines That Suck to find out the answer.
OTHER NEWS AND NONSENSE YOU MAY ENJOY:
• What’s the Right-Wing End Game of This ‘Racist Obama’ College Video?
• Like Terrible Football, the Republican Primaries Are Still Worth Watching
• 10 Snarkiest Tweets About the New iPad
• Dr. Ruth Gets In on the #youowemehead Twitter Trend
• 18 People Who’ll Miss a Man Whose Name They Can’t Spell