On a busy day and night in Oakland, thousands of protesters marched through the downtown area and blocked entrances to banks before effectively shutting down the city’s port, the fifth busiest container port in the United States. The police, per Mayor Jean Quan’s request, kept a low-profile.
The protesters had called for a citywide general strike — some businesses shut down, some workers called out in solidarity. And it was a peaceful day of protests, until late in the evening (early Thursday morning), when about 70 protesters began rousing rabble and started a big bonfire downtown. At that point, police moved in and arrested “dozens of people.”
But the news of the night belonged to a Mercedes-Benz sedan, which struck two protesters on Broadway. According to police, the driver had the right of way, with a green light, but the protesters wouldn’t let the car through. The frustrated driver decided to go anyway. The SF Chronicle has more:
As the driver left, many in the crowd yelled at him and at police, saying he should have stayed at the scene or been arrested.
The incident happened when the driver was heading south on 11th and was blocked by streams of marchers walking along Broadway, witnesses said. He had a green light, but could not get through.
Hartwig said witnesses had differing accounts of what happened, with some saying the driver appeared to have gunned the Mercedes into the victims in frustration and others saying he had been provoked by activists pounding on his car.
The driver’s just lucky he or she didn’t get pulled from the car and vigilante’d.
S’MORE #OWS STORIES TO KEEP YOU OCCUPIED:
• Starting to See a Pattern? Occupy Tulsa Protesters Pepper Sprayed, Arrested
• On Rights: Former USAF Airwoman Gives Portland Police Important Civics Lesson
• Lowlifes, Homeless and Colbert Co-Opting Occupy Wall Street?
• What I Learned from the Occupation: Lose the Fear
• Iraq Vet Wounded by Oakland Police Projectile Upgraded to “Fair” Condition
• War Pigs: Police in Riot Gear Bust Up Occupy Oakland Protests
• OWS: An Idea to Keep Big Banks Occupied
• Marine to NYPD: “Why Y’all Gearing Up Like This is War?”
• Banksy Shows Support for Occupy London Protests with Custom Monopoly Sculpture
• Fallon and BriWi Slow Jam the #OWS News
• Where Occupy Wall Street Headlines Come From
• Operation Fox Hunt: Anonymous Threatens to Take Down Fox News
• Buncha Bologna: Pepper-Spraying NYPD Officer Loses Just 10 Days Vacation
• Jon Stewart on Hypocrisy of Republican Revolution Rhetoric
• MTV Goes OWS: Watch Previews for “True Life: I’m Occupying Wall Street”
• 11 Occupy Wall St. Spin-offs You May Have Missed
• [VIDEO] Rest Easy, World: Half of the Baldwin Brothers Make a Visit to OWS
• Close Your Citibank Account, Go Directly to Jail
• NYPD and OWS Protesters Clash After Cleanup Postponed
• Here’s Why “Occupy” Protesters Picked Specific Fight with Wall St. Bankers
• Gee, Wonder Why Fox News Declined to Air This Interview with Occupy Wall St. Protester
• Wicked Cold: Riot Police Clash with Occupy Boston Camp
• Puppet Interview Crews and More Kanye West News From Occupy Wall Street
• Nightstickin’: NYPD Officer to Start “Occupy Hospitals”
• What Would George Carlin Think of Occupy Wall Street?
• CAPTION IT: Kanye West Occupies Wall Street…for Minutes
• Police Tackle Peaceful Cafe Worker at “Occupy Wall Street”
• NYPD Officer in Hot Bologna After Second Pepper Spray Video Surfaces
• Jon Stewart Finally Breaks Down Occupy Wall Street
• Geraldo Meets Occupy Wall Street Protesters Amid Chants of “Fox News Lies!”
• Inconceivable! Princess Bride Bossman Checks in with Occupy Wall Street Protests
• Radiohead Hoaxster Comes Clean, Wanted to Raise Awareness for Occupy Wall Street