Hypervocal Menu


Oblivious Swimmers Fail to Notice Dead Body in Massachusetts Public Pool for Two Days

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter


By HVnews on June 30, 2011

How is it possible that the swimmers at Bushwood Country Club can spot a Baby Ruth in the pool in 30 seconds but nobody at a public pool in Massachusetts can spot a dead body for two days?

Yet somehow, not one person noticed a dead body floating in a city pool for two days before it was discovered on Tuesday.

Here’s the craziest part: “The mayor of Fall River says ‘that health inspectors from the City visited the pool on Monday and on Tuesday and inspected the facilities,’ which was during the time that body was believed to be in the water,” according to CBS Boston.

The body of Marie Joseph is believed to have been in the pool while lifeguards were on duty and children were playing Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Maybe they thought she was trying to set the world record for longest time holding your breath under water. (She would have beaten the current title holder by 2,861 minutes or so.)

The 36-year-old’s body was found in the Fall River pool by kids who broke into the pool operated by the Department of Conservation and Recreation at 10 p.m. on Tuesday. But police believe it had been there since Sunday. Believe it or not, officials say the lack of lighting made it easier to spot the body.

“She can’t swim. She told me this like two weeks ago. She can’t swim. She said, ‘You’ve got to teach me how to swim, because I can’t swim,'” a friend of Joseph’s told NBC 10.

Joseph had gone to the pool around 2 p.m. with her friends on Sunday. She was watching her 9-year-old neighbor go down a waterslide when she fell down the slide herself, landed on the boy and drowned, according to NBC 10.

Joseph’s friends told NBC 10 that the boy tried to tell a lifeguard but was ignored.

But, according to the Boston Globe, the story has yet to be confirmed by the police. An autopsy is pending.

As of Wednesday, the state closed all 30 public pools in Massachusetts for 24 to 48 hours while an investigation is carried out, the Boston Globe reports. The staff of the pool in question has been given administrative leave.

‘‘I think this is a very serious matter and I certainly don’t want the pool to be open while the [authorities] are doing their investigation,’’ City Counsilor Joseph Camara told the Boston Globe. ‘‘It’s just the way it’s going to be.’’

It also probably would have best for the pool not to be open while there was a floating dead body in it.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter