What do you do after you’ve made a fool out of yourself on national television with a brain fart that will be shown as part of every debate lowlight package from here to eternity?
If you’re Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and you just made a three-item list of agencies you’re going to cut but can’t name them all, that’s an easy call: Hit the morning shows to control the message and make yourself look human, then hit David Letterman’s late-night show and laugh it off.
Smart strategerie. Best move he could have done.
If you can’t watch that video at work or wherever you are, here’s the list:
10. There were three reasons why I messed up last night: 1) The nerves 2) The headache and 3) Um…Uh…Oops
9. I don’t know what you’re talking about — I think things went well
8. I was up late last night watching “Dancing With The Stars”
7. I thought the debate was tonight
6. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude
5. Uh, El Nino?
4. I had a Five-Hour Energy Drink six hours before the debate
3. I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here
2. I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain
1. I just learned Justin Bieber is my father
Well, it’s never easy to go from national punchline to president (usually it happens the other way around), but at least Perry is handling this with humor. That’s definitely the right call.