Dorli Rainey is an 84-year-old former school teacher and longtime presence on the Seattle political scene. On Tuesday night on her way to a public transportation meeting, Rainey decided to stop by the Occupy Seattle protests to see what was going down at the protests.
The Occupy Seattle protesters were, at the time Rainey arrived, marching in solidarity for the Occupy Wall Street protesters. Seattle police used pepper spray, or as SPD put it, a “less-than-lethal” agent to disperse protesters after ordering them to vacate Westlake Park, the Seattle PI reports.
Rainey was among the protesters doused with pepper spray, including a pregnant woman who was taken to a hospital and a priest.
Rainey wrote an email to Seattle’s The Stranger after the incident. Here is what she said:
The more stories like this are publicized, the more the police and government push back on the protesters, the more this movement grows beyond scruffy, unemployed college hippies. It’s priests, elderly women, pregnant ladies, military veterans and more.
“Pepper spray was deployed only against subjects who were either refusing a lawful order to disperse or engaging in assaultive behavior toward officers,” said Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel.
The photo above feels like one of those important photos that is so powerful, so contrary to what authorities are saying, that it tips public favor to the side of the protesters against the actions of the police. Police said six people were arrested during the march, including a 17-year-old girl who allegedly swung a stick at an officer, a 17-year-old boy, a man and a women were arrested for suspected pedestrian interference, a man was arrested after he allegedly threw an unknown liquid at an officer’s face, and another man was arrested for alleged assault.
Then there is Dorli Rainey, all 4’10″ of her. An 84-year-old former school teacher, someone who ran for the Seattle mayor’s office in 2009 at the age of 82, who allegedly refused to disperse the scene or engaged in assaultive behavior. After all, according to police, those were the only civilians who were pepper sprayed. A thousand words doesn’t do that photo justice. More like 10,000.
S’MORE #OWS STORIES TO KEEP YOU OCCUPIED:
• Judge Rules in Favor of City to Keep OWS From Camping
• Ali Velshi’s Fat Evil Twin Drops Anti-Gay F-Bomb at OWS
• Holy Terror: Legendary Comic Artist Frank Miller Goes Bananas on #OWS Protesters
• Brutality: Watch Riot Police Rough Up Occupy Cal Protesters on Berkeley Campus
• Oakland Officer Shoots Cameraman with Rubber Bullet for Seemingly No Reason
• Faceoff: Occupy Wall Street vs. Tea Party
• Bayhem: Oakland Anarchy Mars Peaceful Protests
• Starting to See a Pattern? Occupy Tulsa Protesters Pepper Sprayed, Arrested
• On Rights: Former USAF Airwoman Gives Portland Police Important Civics Lesson
• Right of Way: Mercedes Strikes 2 Occupy Oakland Protesters
• Lowlifes, Homeless and Colbert Co-Opting Occupy Wall Street?
• What I Learned from the Occupation: Lose the Fear
• Iraq Vet Wounded by Oakland Police Projectile Upgraded to “Fair” Condition
• War Pigs: Police in Riot Gear Bust Up Occupy Oakland Protests
• OWS: An Idea to Keep Big Banks Occupied
• Marine to NYPD: “Why Y’all Gearing Up Like This is War?”
• Banksy Shows Support for Occupy London Protests with Custom Monopoly Sculpture
• Fallon and BriWi Slow Jam the #OWS News
• Where Occupy Wall Street Headlines Come From
• Operation Fox Hunt: Anonymous Threatens to Take Down Fox News
• Buncha Bologna: Pepper-Spraying NYPD Officer Loses Just 10 Days Vacation
• Jon Stewart on Hypocrisy of Republican Revolution Rhetoric
• MTV Goes OWS: Watch Previews for “True Life: I’m Occupying Wall Street”
• 11 Occupy Wall St. Spin-offs You May Have Missed
• [VIDEO] Rest Easy, World: Half of the Baldwin Brothers Make a Visit to OWS
• Close Your Citibank Account, Go Directly to Jail
• NYPD and OWS Protesters Clash After Cleanup Postponed
• Here’s Why “Occupy” Protesters Picked Specific Fight with Wall St. Bankers
• Gee, Wonder Why Fox News Declined to Air This Interview with Occupy Wall St. Protester
• Wicked Cold: Riot Police Clash with Occupy Boston Camp
• Puppet Interview Crews and More Kanye West News From Occupy Wall Street
• Nightstickin’: NYPD Officer to Start “Occupy Hospitals”
• What Would George Carlin Think of Occupy Wall Street?
• CAPTION IT: Kanye West Occupies Wall Street…for Minutes
• Police Tackle Peaceful Cafe Worker at “Occupy Wall Street”
• NYPD Officer in Hot Bologna After Second Pepper Spray Video Surfaces
• Jon Stewart Finally Breaks Down Occupy Wall Street
• Geraldo Meets Occupy Wall Street Protesters Amid Chants of “Fox News Lies!”
• Inconceivable! Princess Bride Bossman Checks in with Occupy Wall Street Protests
• Radiohead Hoaxster Comes Clean, Wanted to Raise Awareness for Occupy Wall Street