In light of the tragedy that befell Newtown on Friday, it’s important to avoid becoming overly calloused and cynical by inherent evil that often rears its ugly head. Let these kick-ass kids of 2012 serve as a reflection of how astounding this year was, and also how good the world can be in spite of it all.
• Forget simple lick-and-stick tattoos, this 12-year-old has been inking since she was 4. Kudos to Dad who serves as the canvas.
• This little girl can pick a master lock in 5 minutes — she’s gonna be everyone’s best friend when they forget their locker combos.
• Screw your baking soda volcano, this 15-year-old science fair winner developed a revolutionary pancreatic cancer test.
Girls took charge
• They gave oppressive patriarchy a swift kick to the nuts, literally.
• This 8-year-old informed us why being a girl is awesome.
• This precocious 6-year-old taught us it’s never too early to start addressing gender inequalities in board games like “Guess Who?”
• Pee-wee powerhouse Sam Gordon proved some girls make better quarterbacks than cheerleaders.
• Young Afghan girls shredded harder than anyone else out there.
Those who lost the training wheels
• This was a year for kids to conquer their fears …
• … in the most extreme ways possible.
Those who made us laugh
Those who made us cry
• But most importantly, this real life Toy Story reminded us you’re never too old for stuffed animals.